Independent Overnight Camping in the Mackenzie Region
While travelling and staying in the Mackenzie District you should be aware of The Freedom Camping bi-law................
The Freedom Camping bi-law;
Freedom camping is not permitted in the Lake Tekapo township or its surrounds. This also applies to the areas around Lakes MacGregor and Alexandrina unless it is a permitted camping area. There are limited freedom camping areas in the Mackenzie region. If you wish to freedom camp check your intentions at the Lake Tekapo i-SITE or Council office. Please refer to the Mackenzie District Council website for permitted camping areas throughout our district http://www.mackenzie.govt.nz/Site/A-Z/A-C/Camping.aspx Instant fines will be imposed on those who break this law and who do not move on when requested.
The Council asks that all independent overnight campers behave in an acceptable manner while camping in approved areas within the District. This includes:
* Leaving camp sites where camping is permitted in a clean and tidy state;
* Limiting stays at anyone site to a maximum of two nights and this period shall not be exceeded in
any calendar month;
* Disposing of all toilet and wastewater at a Council approved dump point (one in Fairlie and Twizel
and two in Lake Tekapo);
* Disposing of all other refuse in approved bags and at approved locations.
* Following safe fire practices at all times, including fire bans;
* Keeping dogs under control at all times.
The Mackenzie District is a Zero-Waste District. All rubbish is to be sorted carefully to ensure that the majority of waste produced is able to be recycled. There are numerous recycling stations throughout the district where you can recycle your rubbish.